Circumcision is a highly personal decision that your and your partner must make together.
Here are some tips to help you make the right decision for your child:
- Make an appointment to talk about circumcision.
- Talk with other parents who have had the procedure performed on their children.
- Watch a circumcision being performed, either in person or on videotape.
- Be sure to consider your religious beliefs and cultural attitudes.
- Reduced Sexual Enjoyment: The foreskin contains highly sensitive nerve endings which help to increase lubrication and enjoyment during sexual intercourse.
- Increased Hygiene Care after Birth: Circumcision may actually increase the amount of personal care you give your child after birth. The wound must be carefully cleaned and bandaged to prevent infection.
- Some parents may also be against circumcision as they view the practice as a type of mutilation, instead preferring to let their child make the decision whether or not they would like to be circumcised when they are older.