As with any surgery, there are some risks associated with the circumcision procedure.
These risks include:
- penile abnormalities (if the foreskin is cut too long or too short)
There are also a number of other drawbacks to the circumcision procedure,
- Pain : Babies may suffer discomfort for several hours after circumcision. The analgesia used & Panadol afterwards minimize this & all babies are fine by 24 hours after circumcision.
- Reduced Sexual Enjoyment: some unsubstantiated studies have proposed that sexual enjoyment in circumcised men is less than uncircumcised men. This is very subjective & no real evidence exists to support this
- Increased Hygiene Care after Birth: Circumcision may actually increase the amount of personal care you give your child after birth.
- Some parents may also be against circumcision as they view the practice as a type of mutilation, instead preferring to let their child make the decision whether or not they would like to be circumcised when they are older.